The parties hereto agree that the owners shall abide by the following conditions:
- The adopter agrees that the dog will be treated as a family member with loving care and affection. I will do my best to ensure the dog’s safety and well-being.
- The adopter agrees to feed the dog at least twice a day and will provide a fresh supply of water at all times. The dog will live inside the home and will not be isolated from the family. The adopter will walk the pet on a leash or exercise in a fenced yard, which must be provided unless waived by Stray Paws Rescue. The pet will never run loose or roam, or be chained or tied up, kept continuously in a yard, garage, patio, balcony, or pen, or leave my dog outdoors, even in a fenced yard when nobody’s at home.
- The adopter agrees they will not have the dog attack-trained nor will use it for any purpose other than companionship. Adopter will not have the pet’s ears cropped nor will its tail docked. Adopter agrees to never allow any physical, mental, or emotional abuse of the dog
- The Adopter agrees to take the pet to a licensed veterinarian when shots are due, and in no event later than one year from the last vet visit. Adopter will provide all required and/or needed veterinary care, including: rabies shots as required every one or three years; yearly booster shots for DHLPPC; yearly fecal checks for internal parasites (worms); and prompt treatment by a licensed veterinarian for any illness or injury. Adopter understands that Stray Paws Rescue may check up on vetting of the pet at anytime to make sure the pet is getting the medical attention he/she needs. If the adopter fails to comply with vetting, the pet must be immediately returned to Stray Paws Rescue.
- The adopter agrees and understands that all their current pets must be up to date on vaccinations and spayed/neutered before adopting.
- The adopter agrees the pet will be given heartworm preventative tablets every month, all year long and have a heartworm test given every year. If there is any break in dispensing heartworm tablets, adopter must retest for heartworm and restart tablets immediately.
- If not already done, the adopter will have the dog spayed/neutered by and will immediately forward proof to Stray Paws Rescue. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in the immediate return of the dog to Stray Paws Rescue.
- The adopter agrees and confirms that no member of the household has been convicted of an animal welfare law violation such as neglect, cruelty, abandonment etc.
- The adopter agrees to ensure proper licensing of the dog and will attach the appropriate license tags, rabies tag, Stray Paws Rescue tag, and personal identification tag to a non-choke collar and to be worn at all times.
- The adopter agrees to not use a choke-type collar at any time, except for training and when out in public.
- The adopter agrees with the understanding that the adopter is taking possession of this animal to treat and to be responsible for it as their own dog.
- The adopter agrees that they are adopting the pet for him/herself and agrees to not give away, sell, or trade the pet, even as a gift to a friend or family member. Adopter will neither take the pet to a shelter nor abandon the animal. Adopter understands that he/she must notify Stray Paws Rescue, without delay, if no longer care for or keep the pet and agree to give Stray Paws Rescue reasonable time to rehome or place my pet in an approved foster home.
- The adopter agrees they must notify Stray Paws Rescue of any behavioral problems that have occurred at any time before returning the pet and agree to pay for a professional trainer’s evaluation in case of biting or aggression.
- The adopter agrees to accept responsibility and ownership of the dog at their own risk and release Stray Paws Rescue and its agents from any and all liability arising out of possession and ownership of this pet.
- The adopter agrees that they are total financial responsible for this pet as of the date of this contract. Stray Paws Rescue and its agents will not be held responsible for any damages or expenses (veterinary or other) incurred during my ownership of the pet.
- The adopter agrees to take the pet to obedience training classes as a puppy, and/or as an adult if discussed by Stray Paws Rescue.
- The adopter agrees that in the event the pet becomes lost or dies, they will immediately notify Stray Paws Rescue.
- The adopter agrees to also immediately notify Stray Paws Rescue of any change in contact information (address, phone number, or email address, veterinarian, etc.) within 48 hours of change, if not notified within the time period the pet must be returned back to Stray Paws Rescue.
- The adopter agrees and understands the pets known background and medical history have been discussed with me. I understand that Stray Paws Rescue has made no representation concerning the health, condition, training, behavior, or temperament of the pet.
- The adopter agrees to permit Stray Paws Rescue to make inquiry about and enforce any of the above conditions and requirements at any time after the adoption. This can include visits to my home and contact with my veterinarian.
I UNDERSTAND THAT FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH ANY OF THE ABOVE PROVISIONS WILL RESULT IN FORFEITURE OF THE PET AND RETURNED TO STRAY PAWS RESCUE IMMEDIATELY.
I understand that by voluntarily accepting these terms, I am entering into a legal and binding contract with Stray Paws Rescue. An adoption fee is required at the time of adoption. Stray Paws Rescue does not provide refunds once adoption is complete. However, Stray Paws Rescue understands not all matches may be successful due to no fault of the adopter or the pet. To help reduce the number of unsuccessful adoptions, Stray Paws Rescue requires all interested in adopting to “foster to adopt” for a minimum of two weeks to give the adopter more knowledge of their new pet they are inquiring about. During the two week trial, Stray Paws Rescue is required to pay for any medical expenses that may come up until the adoption is finalized. Once adoption is complete, In the event there is a violation of the agreement, the adopter agrees to pay a minimum of $500 to the rescue as a fine of breaking the contract and the pet is immediately returned to Stray Paws Rescue.